Moon Hall School was started in Ewhurst, Surrey in 1985 by Mrs. Berry Baker, already a qualified teacher, with the help of her husband, David. She discovered her eight year old son was dyslexic and could not find a school in the area with the ability to help him.
Her friend, Andrea, who had a son with a similar problem, encouraged Berry to establish a school in her own home, Moon Hall. Moon Hall School for Dyslexic Children developed and four years in Ewhurst saw the number of pupils grow to twelve, the maximum permitted, with more applicants than places. A move was necessary and Berry had come to believe that the interests of the children would best be served if they could have all the skills of a specialist dyslexia school within mainstream education.
These ideals were met when nearby Belmont School allowed Moon Hall to buy a 125 year lease of part of its extensive grounds in Holmbury St. Mary. Moon Hall relocated to Belmont in 1989. In 1990 Berry and David donated the assets and goodwill of the school to a registered charity established under the same name, now Moon Hall Schools Educational Trust. By September 1990, funds had been raised and a new building had been erected, equipped and was ready for use.
In helping them develop life-long learning skills, a sense of self worth and an opportunity to re-integrate with a main stream school, Moon Hall gives them opportunities to realise their potential in ways that might otherwise have been closed to them.
Encouraged by parents, Moon Hall Schools Educational Trust purchased Burys Court Preparatory School in Leigh, near Reigate in 2005 in order to develop its vision for the education of dyslexic children on a site under its full control and in order to extend the age range up to GCSE.
At Burys Court the dyslexia specialisation was introduced and the age range extended year by year. Moon Hall College is the senior school which is now well established and provides a full GCSE curriculum together with a wide range of sporting and other activities.
Burys Court School continues as the junior school on site. It provides a preparatory school education with specialist dyslexia support as is done at Moon Hall School.
History of Burys Court
Burys Court was completed in 1876 as a home for Edward and Georgiana Charrington. It was built on part of the Bures Manor estate from which it is believed the name Burys Court is derived. Bures Manor was, and remains, the family seat of the Charrington family who have occupied it since the 16th Century. The family also owned the Charrington brewery in the East End of London which had made Edward a wealthy man. Rumour has it that he designed the traditional Victorian Jacobean style front of the building and his wife, Georgiana, designed the gable ended section at the rear.
Between the two World Wars, Burys Court was leased to a Miss Sheard who founded Burys Court Girls’ School with the motto ‘Learn to Live’. In 1939 the building was taken over by a Lloyds Insurance brokerage and the site still makes use of two bomb shelters built at that time.
In 1946 Burys Court opened as a hotel. In 1952 it was sold out of the family to Kenneth Farnsworth, who opened Bury’s Court Preparatory School for Boys in September of that year.
In 1963, the school was sold to Mr and Mrs F W White, who ran it with their son Donald until 1982. In 1983, Donald’s brother Peter came out of the Services to help continue to run Burys Court as joint headmasters. Formerly a boarding school, many forces and diplomatic service children attended while their parents were serving abroad.
In April 2005, the brothers sold the school to Moon Hall Schools Educational Trust.